Monday, November 9, 2009

Nuclear Beauty



Over the weekend, some friends and I took a trip to the woods of Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. We stayed at a quaint little campground/trailer park known as the Council Cup Campground. It being November and freezing, the place was pretty deserted except for the year-round residents. We met one resident who was the proud owner of a beautiful wolf named Sage. It made me a little sad/confused to see these people living permanently in campers, but who am I to judge...

But I will tell you, if you ARE interested in camping LATE in the fall, this is the place to go. It is quiet, scenic and friendly. My fellow campers and I had a great time staying up till the late hours of the night drinking spiked Cider and singing BonJovi. Although, unlike other camping trips, my most memorable moment from the trip was NOT Anthony catching his foot on fire, Eric eating 8 bowls of Chili nor waking up a victim of spooning. Oh no, this time it was the view of the Nuclear power plant.

Please take a second to glance at the pictures of the majestic Susquehanna Steam Electric Station, a nuclear power plant only a mile or two from our cozy campsite. Friday night, on our ride to Wilkes Barre, we discovered this wonder of nature in the middle of the night. It was truly a beautiful site I will never forget. The two towers, I'll call them "steam towers," stood tall, pouring thick, fluffy clouds of steam into the dark sky. The tall, curvy steam towers are an excellent complement to the very flat surrounding land. Perfect spot for a nuclear plant I suppose. I couldn't find any pictures of them at nite, maybe one day I'll go back and take my own. Its only two hours from Philly.

I remember my first thought being, "Will we see this from our campsite?" Next thought being, "Is the water safe?" I included a screenshot of my google map to show how close we REALLY were. I'll probably be talking about this for weeks, or days atleast. Thanks SSES!


Full-screen

No comments: