Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jobs searching is hard & Philly is small

Yesterday, a dear friend and fellow designer expressed to me his frustrations with finding a good job. My heart breaks for him, as I too know the pain of wanting to work with smart, creative people on exciting, challenging projects. Many of these jobs are coveted and hundreds apply. But I'd hate to see him lose faith and give up. We are young and motivated, now is the time to work our tiny asses off and shoot for the stars. "How can I keep him motivated?" I thunk.
This morning I purchased a t-shirt from the nice people at Print Liberation. I asked them to include a handwritten note, addressed from their team, expressing to the recipient their deepest sympathies. I'm trying really hard not to ruin the surprise right now and blurt it out. I know he never reads this blog : ), so no worries there.
While browsing their site, I realized that the t-shirt model is no other than Ada, the owner of Oma. Yet another reminder that the creative world in Philadelphia is small and rather incestuous. Philly may be barren of decent creative jobs, but the entrepreneurial opportunities seem bountiful. Its nice to see folks collaborating.

No comments: