Monday, December 14, 2009

Timeless design.


The other day I was paying the rent, and while waiting for my receipt, I glanced around my landlord's office and noticed a letter from the Community Legal Services of Philadelphia. I admired the logo, thought the designer had done a nice job with the type. I'm pretty sure its Helvetica. I think its strong, really embodies the no-nonsense style a legal organization should. Then I glanced at the bottom of the letter...... and realized it was from 1975! My initial thought was, wow, could this logo be considered timeless? To me it still looks great, its effective, powerful....

I took a picture with my phone and went home to research. Unfortunately, Community Legal Services has redesigned it's identity since 1975. Although the new one is much more friendly, I prefer the old version.
Then I thought some more about what a timeless design means.....Jacob Cass calls the CocaCola logo timeless. Some more internet research led me to this. Seems what it all comes down to is to avoid design trends when creating your logo. Utility over beauty.

No comments: